June 15, 2015

As close as we want or as far away as we choose

Underneath it all, we are all people, alike in our humanity, unique in our differences. We can choose to connect with one another through the threads of our similarities or isolate ourselves from others through the starkness of our differences. However we choose to live, whatever we decide, it is completely up to us but it doesn't change the truth about what makes us human. This occurred to me as I took my nightly stroll through my Facebook newsfeed tonight. Whenever something caught my interest, I would click on it to get a closer look or, to read the full post and I realized that many of the pictures, inspirational quotes  or status people were sharing were similar to mine and to others I was seeing around the network.  They either reflected a desire to live life fully, to be happy, expressed gratitude for the present, for people in their lives, or showed a desire to get better.
And what struck me is that, while we are all very different in that we lead very different lives, our main concerns all seem to revolve around the same topics.  I mean, yes some of the people I know share many of my fundamental core values, have similar backgrounds, but others are just completely different.
Different is not bad. Different makes for interesting conversations. The only time I fear different is when different is endangering or hurting others. That's the kind of different I fear. Other than that, nope, I'm not afraid of different. It would be so much easier if we all learned to appreciate each other through our similarities and differences. We don't have to like everything about each other. We just have to respect each other.  

No comments:

Post a Comment