April 3, 2011

Sunday Mornings

Last Sunday, I was driving through a very quiet, very beautiful street. When I looked up, I could see the towering green trees with a little bit of the blue sky peeking through.  It was one of those special mornings. It was sunny, breezy... At that moment, I was feeling completely at peace, thinking of God and of this beautiful world He had given to us.  Then I reached the end of the street and my moment ended suddenly. Right there, across the street were two cars that had gotten into an accident. My previous thoughts now felt almost like an aberration.  Here I was, completely lost in the beauty of nature, enjoying the peacefulness of this glorious Sunday morning when, not even half a mile away, people were getting into accidents. A young woman, obviously shaken, was sitting on the curb holding an infant baby girl  and next to her stood another woman dressed in medical scrubs.  She must have seen the accident and stopped to make sure they were OK.  "Was she a nurse" I wondered as I drove past them... Further down, another car was parked and two men were walking toward the scene of the accident, one gesticulating and appearing more upset than the woman sitting on the curb.  "What does he have to be upset about? I thought a little grudgingly.  ( I think I had already taken sides but c'mon, the woman was holding an infant!) He seems to be fine!  His car is not all crushed up like that poor woman's car." To be fair, one of the men was actually pushing a little boy in a stroller so there had been kids aboard both vehicles when the accident happened.  One driver had just been luckier than the other.  My beautiful Sunday morning was over... I wasn't sure whether to thank God for the beautiful moment I was having just before coming upon this scene or, for sparing the lives of the people involved in the accident.  I thanked him for both, not right away but eventually.  Because, regardless of what had happened just after, I did experience something beautiful driving down that street that Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment