April 10, 2016

I Take Life In and React to It All

I'm not in the habit of hiding my struggles, especially not when it comes to my son and the challenges he faces as an individual on the autism spectrum. That’s why I created a blog devoted just to him.  You can visit it @ http://raisingcrl.blogspot.com/.  Having said that, I certainly don't feel limited to just that. I take life in and react to it all. This philosophy has served me well in all of my years. Faith has sustained me through the shock waves and emotional roller coaster. Talking and writing about my struggles have gotten people's attention, raised awareness and provided much needed, much appreciated support.  I believe it's important to be informed and to understand what the issues are and what's at stake for each one of us. I equally think it's just as important to take the time to live life, to enjoy it, to laugh and to discover beauty in unexpected places.  I enjoy going out, spending time with friends and family, reading, writing, dancing, and listening to music.  I like to experience the energy that comes from being in a crowd, moving to the rhythm of a song, cheering for a team or, supporting a cause.  I find it extremely revitalizing.  I like to participate in community events, street festivals, fairs; anything that speaks of life, I usually go for.  I’m interested in fashion trends and like to know what’s going on.  But with all of this or, should I say, before all of this, I recognize the role that my faith in God plays in my life.  I’ve said this before and I’ll probably say it again: Faith is the driving force that keeps me going.  I really believe it’s the reason I’m able to have so much joy despite the challenges, the very serious challenges that I’ve faced over the years.  And believe me, these challenges were/are no joke! I live life as fully as I can, not to show people that I’m here and that I’m surviving but because I do love life.  I really enjoy having a good time. People who know me can attest to that.  Well, we all have our definitions of what a good time is; for me, it’s a genuine, feel good experience that comes from just being present in the moment.  Last but not least, I should add that I’ve always tried to be true to who I am, all of who I am. I’m this girl who was raised catholic, and had to really do some soul-searching before deciding whether this was the right path for her; this girl who was born and raised in Haiti, whose Caribbean culture is an integral part of who she is and who is not willing to give it up under any circumstances.  this girl who came to the United States at the beginning of her college years, who didn’t hold back when it came to exploring and understanding the differences between her new home and her childhood one and  is now comfortable referring to herself as Haitian-American.  I fight hard to be that person, that authentic version of myself.  I don’t really like the idea of being associated with just one issue, one idea, and one main topic.  I certainly use my voice to raise awareness for those issues that directly impact my life,  autism being one of the main ones because I have a son whom I love with all my heart who is on the autism spectrum disorder.  However, I speak just as loudly if not as often to bring attention to issues of inequality: Racial, ethnic, religious and gender inequality. I think women need to be treated better and be given more opportunities.  The same goes for minority groups; I see too many instances where people with stellar qualifications are passed over for a position because of who they are. It sucks. Sometimes, my words make people uncomfortable because they don’t expect me to talk so plainly about discrimination and racism.  I’m not going to pretend they do not exist when I’ve been on the receiving end of both; so has my family.  These issues speak to me so I will write about them as well, will discuss them on my blog and other social networks.  I won’t engage in political banter but I have my views and once in a while, I will express them clearly.  That’s me. That’s who I am and what I’m about.  I’m a woman going through the journey who chooses to share bits and pieces of her life with the outside world.  


No comments:

Post a Comment